Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day 1 of training

Today was the official start of my training. Did it go well? Hmmm...not as fit as I would like but with perserverance that will of course improve. Today's trek was up Mt Ainslie - 2.2km with a gradient of .... actually I can't find info on what the gradeint of the walking track is. The good news is my legs faired well, knees got a little achy but have been fine since. Unfortunately the altitude doesn't quite match what I have ahead of me, but that's ok.

My ever supportive home team of Danielle and Steve were with me this morning and we had a good few laughs along the way. The best story I think was Steve talking about their Yoga instructor. Before I get to it though I need to set a little context. A couple of months ago a lingerie shop had an advert in their shop window looking for staff. The wording was along the lines of "Come and use your talents to be part of our team" I immediately posted it on my facebook profile given that it was predominantly a bra shop and thus boobs are now codenamed "talents". It's been a great laugh and Danielle and I agree we are very talented!

So, we were talking about their yoga class and as it turns out their yoga instuctor is very talented too. As she was talking them through the Warrior 1 pose she was trying to gesture to push their sternum up as they reach up, instead she pushed her hands up the sides of her talents - not a problem if the class is all girls, but lucky for Steve he is there as is another older chap. It was a good distraction to his training and a good distraction and laugh during our walk today. Reading back over that doesn't do it justice. Maybe I can get Steve to demonstrate it again while I take a pic and post it on here soon?
Speaking of pics - attached is Danielle and I at the bottom of the hill, a view from the top and a view about 50m down the track of Steve and the view of Canberra. We're so lucky to live in such a beautiful city!

I forgot all about the tongue twister which is not a bad thing - I was so out of breath without even talking! Now, this afternoon I went out to Columbia and paid a deposit on a pair of trekking boots - YAY! Now I just need to wait until next pay day to pick them up :)

One of the best things about the walk - a bunch of us went for Yum Cha afterwards and it was spectacular. If you haven't been to 4 Rivers in Dickson, take the time to organise a group of friends and go hit it. There were 10 of us, we took loads and loads of dishes and it worked out (with non-stop green tea too) as less than $17/person. I still can't believe it! We even had a serve of the super not so cheap crispy skin duck along with loads and loads of little parcels, veggies and sweets (Must try is the sticky rice ball desert thing - has sesame seeds on the outside and red paste on the inside...YUM YUM YUM). We really didn't hold back on what we ordered and were all pleasantly surprised at the price. I love it that it's about 2 blocks from home too - note to my friends in Canberra, if you are ever planning on going there I am soooooo in for it!

Tomorrow I'm not sure what I am going to do - I wanted to mix it up and do a walk one day, bike the next, but I'm not allowed to ride my bike unless it's on a wind trainer or is an exercise bike (I don't have access to an exercise bike at the moment and my friend has my wind trainer, but I can't set it up at home until I move into Mary's house in a couple of weeks). I scoped out a little 30min walk near work that takes me up a short rise to the Senate side of Parliament House which I guess will suffice for tomorrow. Plan for tomorrow then is to get booked on the security course at work so I can get access to the gym (the gym is considered and incentive to doing the course) and getting into a GP to get a medical clearance to use the gym - penalty of being a contractor!

No comments:

Post a Comment