Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 2 - ouch

Owee ow ow. Anyone who knows me knows I'm prone to injury (not just because I am a klutz but I have hypermobile joints and a few damaged discs in my back). At the moment I also have an injured shoulder from another fundraising initiative (the MS 24hr Mega Swim). The advice from my physio just now until I strengthen my joints is that I can't stretch before or after exercise. When you don't stretch after exercise, muscles tighten up which is fine for your glutes if you want to have a tight butt but bad for a person with a stuffed lower back.

How does that play with today? Well, after the walk yesterday and a pile more walking around the place, my hips were achy last night and my glutes were sore so I slept a bit wonky (aparently). When I woke up this morning my back was sore (to get technical - errector spinae had siezed, particularly on the right side) and by the time I got to work it hurt to move my head even. In my cleverness of ow I left my work ID at home which also has the key to my drawers which had the docs in it my boss had asked me to read over today while he was away.

Having ridden the scooter today I wasn't keen on riding home at lunch to pick up my ID (and compendium and water bottle both of which I forgot to take back but I did remember the ID). But, ride home I did and as I went over a bump, my hips clicked and my back felt much better - I could move again! Back is still sore (several hours of a spasmed/cramped muscle takes a toll) but needless to say, no training was achieved.

I did however get booked onto the security course for Wednesday so here's hoping that when Friday rolls around I can use the Gym at work to start ride training! Whee! Oh yeah, at the moment I can't ride a bike (as in push bike) for another couple of weeks, nor can I run - swimming is off the books for a couple of months. Stupid shoulder!

Tomorrow is another walk up Ainslie - thank god I found my ear muffs I bought in Prague! Tonight I will sleep with a pillow beside me to remind me not to roll on that side and put my back out again!

No comments:

Post a Comment